Let FREEdom Ring!Holidays
The Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays! 242 years ago, our founding fathers signed the Declaration of Independence, thus declaring our freedom from Great Britain and securing the rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all Americans. Due to this monumental movement in democracy, we can proudly call ourselves the home of the brave and the land of the free. We celebrate our independence by surrounding ourselves with family and friends, indulging in our all-American favorite foods and watching the mystical display of fireworks illuminate the sky.
When writing this blog, I found these fun facts about this prominent day in American history, and I couldn’t resist sharing:
- Around 150 million hot dogs are consumed on Fourth of July
- Back in 1776, when the Declaration of Independence was signed, 2.5 million new people lived in the U.S. Now 242 years later, an approximate 311 million people live.
- The now American-celebrated song, Yankee Doodle, was originally written by officers of the British army to make fun of backwoods Americans.
- Three United States presidents died on the Fourth of July: John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and James Monroe.
- In one year, $600 million is spent on fireworks alone in the U.S.
As the old saying goes, you learn something new every day! Hmm, did I read that correctly? 150 million hot dogs consumed on the Fourth of July alone??? Well then Americans, as you tune in to watch Nathan’s famous hot dog eating contest and prepare for your festivities filled with fireworks and fun, remember to hold on to your patriotism on this great day by showing your appreciation for those serving to protect your freedom. In the words of Claudia Pemberton, “America without her soldiers would be like God without his angels.”
Planet Beach wishes you a happy and safe July 4th and gives special thanks to all serving in the armed forces.
Written By: Jodie Mateu, VP of Special Events & Productivity