Gift the Magic of RelaxationWellness
Dr. Herbert Benson, professor and founder of Harvard’s Mind & Body Medical Institute first coined the term “relaxation response,” which is more commonly known as meditation. The response is the body’s ability to release chemicals and brain signals that help to slow muscles and organs, and increase blood flow to the brain. In his book The Relaxation Response, Dr. Benson describes the scientific benefits of relaxation, explaining that regular practice of the relaxation response can be an effective treatment for a wide range of stress-related disorders.
In my research, I found that practicing relaxation techniques can have many health benefits, including:
- Slowing heart rate
- Lowering blood pressure
- Slowing your breathing rate
- Improving digestion
- Maintaining normal blood sugar levels
- Reducing activity of stress hormones
- Increasing blood flow to major muscles
- Reducing muscle tension and chronic pain
- Improving concentration and mood
- Improving sleep quality
- Lowering fatigue
- Reducing anger and frustration
- Boosting confidence to handle problems
According to Dr. Benson, one of the most valuable things we can do in life is to learn deep relaxation- making an effort to spend some time every day quieting our minds in order to achieve inner peace and better health. If you feel like you don’t have a minute in the day to sit and self-discipline yourself to practice the relaxation response through mediation, you can use other positive coping methods, such as thinking positively, finding humor, problem-solving, managing time, exercising and getting enough sleep. In addition, you can visit your local day spa such as Planet Beach to indulge in services that will help guide you to the ultimate point of relaxation.
Planet Beach spray & spa has always been a place to unwind and escape the daily stresses that life ensues. Although there is a relaxing element to every service offered at Planet Beach, I’ve listed two of my favorite services that help me to disappear from my busy world and completely disengage.
- Red Light Therapy-Originally discovered by NASA, red light therapy is characterized by the use of infrared light, which possesses strong wavelengths that penetrate deeply into the skin. It warms and soothes the body by stimulating better blood flow and oxygen, which minimizes muscle contraction and helps the body to relax.
- Massages-Planet Beach offers an array of automated massage services that help reduce stress and fatigue, relieve pain, increase circulation and improve levels of energy and alertness. Massages are a powerful way to improve your overall health and wellbeing.
This month, stop by on your lunch break or even spend a Saturday quieting your mind and relaxing your body in one of many automated spa services. Gift two hours of pampering to yourself or a loved one for only $30. Remember that your calm mind is the ultimate weapon against your challenges, so relax, glow and renew with Planet Beach. To visit a location near you, log on to https://planetbeach.com/spa-locator/
Written By: Jodie Mateu, VP of Special Events & Productivity