The Glow Series: Sunless Spray TanningServices
We all want to achieve that healthy glow. The problem most of us have is knowing exactly how and where to start. Whether you prefer UV-Therapy, Sunless Spray Tans, or a cocktail of both, Planet Beach has got you covered! In this 3-part series I will walk you through the best practices of all 3 options!
Spray tanning can be intimidating if you’ve never done it, so I’ll try and break it all down for you here. Planet Beach spray & spas offer many different options for sunless color. Whether you prefer the privacy of the booth or customization of an air brush, we offer it all! If you have a special event or vacation coming up, I would absolutely opt for a spray tan and say goodbye to having to slowly build color in the traditional UV bed. Booths like Mystic, VersaSpa, and PB Glow are the quickest and easiest way to get your glow on. Similar to self-tanning lotions, the solution applied in spray-tan booths contains Dihydroxyacetone or DHA, a chemical that causes a reaction with the top layers of your skin, causing it to darken for up to a week. The tan will develop within a few hours, fade as your skin naturally exfoliates, and will not wash away like a temporary bronzer would.
Here’s how it works. Wearing your birthday suit or a swimsuit, you’ll stand in the booth. Automated nozzles spray a fine mist of self-tanner solution on your body and a prerecorded voice instructs you when to change positions to allow the spray to reach all sides of your body. The nozzles pass over your body with air at the end to dry you. The entire process takes 5 minutes or less! You can’t beat it!
For those who want a more customized option there’s also airbrush tanning. With airbrush tanning, a certified airbrush technician applies a customized shade of tanning solution to your body with an airbrush gun. This option leaves far less room for error as you aren’t left to your devices when positioning yourself or choosing a color level. An airbrush artist will customize a level of tan that is appropriate for your skin tone.
If you’re getting an artificial glow for an event, especially your wedding, always do a trial run a few weeks before the big day and schedule your tan two days before the event.
When deciding whether a spray-tanning booth or an airbrush tan is right for you, there are a few considerations, but an automatic spray-tan booth and a custom spray tan really cannot be compared. I truly believe that when people are afraid to get a spray tan in general, it’s because they think of Ross in the spray-tan episode on Friends! Don’t let your nerves get to you. At Planet Beach our educated Spa Consultants can walk you through the details of both and help you choose which is best for you taking into consideration things like your reason for spraying, your skin-tone, etc.
Here are the dos and don’ts you need to know to ensure a quality spray tan.
- Exfoliate prior to your spray tan just like we discussed with a UV tan in the first blog of the Glow Series.
- Shave prior to your spray tan. This is essentially another form of exfoliation as it takes the top layer of your skin with it.
- Apply a body butter to areas that are prone to grab more solution like knees, backs of ankles, elbows and definitely your hands and feet. I say body butter rather than lotion because it creates more of a barrier.
- Use a booster or primer before a spray tan! Ask your Spa Consultant which products are made for the particular spray you’re doing. Remember if your skin is dry, your tan will flake off with it.
- Moisturize in the days following. This will retain your tan and keep it looking fresh longer.
- Pat yourself dry; don’t rub after showering.
- Exercise, bathe or swim sooner than 8 hours after your spray tan. It will result in streaks.
- Mistake a sunless tan for sunscreen. There is no UV protection in sunless tanning solution.
- Wear light-colored clothing or your prettiest lingerie. The self-tanning solution can stain your clothing, so choose loose, dark clothing instead.
- Wear any jewelry or hair ties on your wrist. I’ve made this mistake. You’ll have a white line just as you would with regular tanning.
- Apply deodorant if possible before your spray tan. Because deodorant is an aluminum-based product, you may notice that your armpits have a green hue after tanning. This happens when the aluminum in the deodorant reacts with the sunless solution. It’s best to arrive with clean, fresh skin so that there are no barriers for the application.
- Hang out in a chlorinated pool or hot tub. You’ll exfoliate that tan right away!
So, what are you waiting for? At Planet Beach spray & spa we specialize in spray (and spa)! It’s even in our name! CLICK HERE to find a location near you!
Written By: Paige Stuart, Planet Beach Brand Manager & Franchisee