What’s Red Light Therapy All About?Beauty, Products, Reviews, Spa Services
I first heard about Red Light Therapy about 8 years ago from a friend who visited a med spa and was told all about this amazing miracle light that was going to help heal her eczema. She went on about NASA using it to heal astronauts in space. To be honest, I don’t have eczema so I was only half-listening as she raved about this revolutionary therapy.
Approximately 3 years later, I started to see Red Light Therapy pop up all over the place promoting its anti-aging benefits. I thought back to that conversation with my friend a few years earlier and wondered why she didn’t tell me about the anti-aging benefits associated with Red Light Therapy. As a female with a fear of growing and looking older, anti-aging peaked my interest. I acted by doing some research and using myself as a guinea pig!
Does Red Light Therapy work?
Most Red Light Therapy products are marketed to help rewind the clock and eliminate fine lines and wrinkles. The promises to restore your youth, with the before and after pictures as evidence, almost seem too good to be true. After trying it myself, I must admit that it is true!
Red Light Therapy can do these things:
- Create a healthy glow about your face
- Smooth overall skin tone
- Reduce wrinkles, including crow’s feet, under eye wrinkles, forehead wrinkles & laugh lines
- Speed the healing of blemishes, like acne and rosacea
- Repair sun damage
- Reduce redness, flushing, and broken capillaries
- Fade scars
- Bring more moisture to your skin
How does it make me look younger?
- It increases circulation and the formation of new capillaries. Increased circulation brings an immediate healthy glow to the skin, and paves the way for a more youthful and healthier appearance. The formation of new capillaries means more oxygen and nutrients to each skin cell every day. Think of the way that you feel after a week of eating clean compared to a week of fast food binging. It’s the same idea here!
- It increases lymph system activity. This increase to the lymph system reduces swelling and puffiness. The results can be noticed after the first session and results increase with each. This paves the way for less puffiness in the future as the lymph system improves its efficiency over time, resulting in healthier skin overall.
- It stimulates the production of collagen and fibroblasts. Collagen production diminishes as we get older. Collagen is responsible for the elasticity, firmness, and fullness of your skin. Therefore, increased production of collagen and fibroblasts will smooth out your fine lines and wrinkles, smooth the texture of the skin, and reduce pore size over time. *However, keep in mind collagen cells grow slowly, so be patient and expect to see “before and after” results after about three months of consistent use.
- It causes the release of ATP, or raw cellular energy. This provides energy to the cells, making the most of the additional blood, oxygen, nutrients, detoxification, and repair already initiated by your Red Light Therapy session.
Where can I get it?
Lucky for you, Planet Beach offers Red Light Therapy for both the face and body. Unlike your typical medical or day spas that charge by the minute or per facial, Planet Beach provides unlimited access to both with their all-inclusive membership program. Sessions are recommended 3 times per week, ideally with a day of rest in between, until the desired results are achieved. This typically takes 8-12 weeks. Afterward, you can reduce sessions down to once a week to maintain the results.
The sessions are painless. In fact, it’s likely that no sensation will be felt at all. At Planet Beach, it’s recommended that you pair your red light facial session with an automated massage. Once your session is completed and you’ve applied your aftercare moisturizer, you can apply makeup or other skin care products immediately after! Easy peasy, right?
What kind of results can I expect?
You’ve seen all those before and afters and I know you’re impressed and excited, but I want to make sure I’m leaving you with the right expectation. After a Red Light Therapy session, certain things happen right away, and certain things take longer. For example, you may have a healthier, more radiant glow about your skin within minutes after each treatment. Use this to your advantage and, instead of doing your treatment before you go to sleep, do it before you go out.
However, the imperfections that you gained slowly over time will fade in the same way – slowly, over time. Gradually, uneven redness and spider veins will diminish. Collagen and elastin will grow slowly with each treatment, gradually smoothing out those fine lines and wrinkles. This happens so gradually that you might not notice it at first, but others will. Be sure to take a picture before you start and another 8 weeks later. This will help you track your progress.
Now, what are you waiting for?
Visit planetbeach.com/spa-locator and find a location near you so you can start your 12-week transformation to a brighter, younger-looking YOU!
Written By: Alyssa Fink, Franchise Performance Consultant